Monday, March 28, 2011

Wooden Shoe Forms, why we love them!



Wooden shoe forms were used by cobblers in early 1900's to make hand made shoes. Often found with punch holes and covered with metal along the soles. They were used to help cobblers create hand made shoes for adults and children. They come in all shapes and sizes, round, pointy...we can't get enough of them.

Why we love them...
They look and feel like history. Tattered, worn, and full of wonder. Ever wonder who's shoes were made on the old worn wooden shoe form you are holding in your hands. Wondering if you should but them or not.
I remember, the first pair of old wooden shoe forms I ever saw were at an Estate Sale we came across on a trip to Scottsdale, Arizona a few years back. There were five or six pairs piled into a metal bin. I thought to myself, who gets on an airplane with luggage filled with wooden shoe forms? Always a dilemma on travels...what gets to come with me and what do I leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment